Hello, Fred!

I know better now what you mean.  I've been doing a lot of PC host work for
the P3 but haven't used it much in contest operation.

I was at K5RC this weekend for the WPX Contest (we used KS7AA) and I found
that the P3 made it much easier to locate relatively clear frequencies to CQ
in.  If the waterfall below is clear for a while...

As I was tuning in S&P mode and found a spot that was currently silent but
had a bit of waterfall below, I found that I could tune so that the cursor
was just to the right of the width of the SSB signal in the waterfall and
when he next spoke his CQ message, I was tuned in closely enough that I got
the call the first time. Made S&P much quicker.

And of course in a pileup on CW (I found a JY on 15 meters before the
contest), it's so much easier to find the current "winner" and more quickly
detect the DX station's tuning pattern.

I know your "banned" comment was tongue in cheek, but there have been a good
number of developments in the history of the DX and contesting sub-hobbies
that were initially viewed as an unfair advantage.  They became a "best
practice" as their value became evident to more and more.  CW memory keyers,
computer logging, multiple spotting receivers, SO2R, etc.  Some didn't make
the leap into the sun (e.g. octopuses), some are still debated, some were
embraced within appropriate categories.

We were multi-single, and these days that means "use packet spotting".  As I
was working my way through a bandmap filled with new multipliers pressing
ctrl down arrow to move from unworked station to station it occurred to me
that we've come a long way in the last dozen or so years. In WPX one new
prefix is as good as another, so rate makes all the difference in the world.
You can't get stuck in pileups for that rare station in Africa when another
European with a new prefix has the same QSO point and multiplier value.

This is the appeal of competitive amateur radio; we're always experimenting
with ways to be more effective and efficient at making a lot of contacts in
less time.  A lot of our station automation is for that reason.

I'll get a bigger SVGA display for more waterfall. It'll make it more
evident where a "clear" frequency is.

73 de Dick, K6KR