There are many I've encountered who argue that Skimmer (including Reverse
Beacon Networks) is the best tool for the pileup. But it's also been
pointed out that newer technology has made it possible for the DX to work a
station 10.35 kHz up from where he's listening and within 12 nanoseconds
(quickly!) 40 other stations are zero beat with that frequency - and then
with all of them jammed on top of that same frequency, reading a single
call is virtually impossible, forcing the DX op to tune elsewhere.

This is not my opinion, this is a comment from G3TXF, an acknowledged
expert.

While one could *still* argue the merits of the Skimmer technology (and
I've been struggling to make mine work properly!), I've found great success
with my P3. I can't always immediately tell where the DX is currently
listening, but, with the SUB RX on, listening to the DX in left ear, pileup
in the right ear, tuning fairly quickly with the VFO B knob, watching the
P3, etc., I've followed the station through the pileup on numerous
occasions.

My personal "best reward" has been by using the P3 to identify "...where
they ain't..." and more or less camp out there until the DX stumbles across
me.

There are times when the pileup discipline is awesome - only the guy being
called responds - one could only wish this would happen more often! Then
the signal spike on the P3 leads one to the proverbial well. Unfortunately,
many, many times, the DX calls for "PJ?" and a bunch of guys with nothing
resembling a "P" or a "J" just keep right on calling. Then the pileup, like
life, becomes a little more difficult!

The Elecraft Electro-Wonder K9 will solve some of those problems. There's a
feature being developed on that rig that will identify the continuous
non-listening callers and send them a 36v jolt that will hopefully shock
them to their senses.

1984 has long come and gone and Big Brother is no longer watching the
pileup!

Art - N4PJ