MFJ-902 tuner uses a single toroid with taps. The toroid becomes hot on some
frequencies with 100W but survives. I guess losses are small compared to
convenience of a very small unit.

>From what I understand, the iron cores can have Q in excess of 300 if they
are below saturation. How much will they can handle depends on the load. A
reactance of 300 will add a resistance loss of 1 Ohm, and a reactance of
3000 will add 100 Ohm.  So the same toroid can handle KW with a longer
vertical but could overheat at 100W with a short vertical.

Ignacy

Fred Townsend wrote