> When split, RIT or XIT is engaged a third - RED transmit - cursor is
> also visible.  It is inexcusable for anyone with a P3 to ever fail to
> realize they are/are not split simply because the red cursor is to
> very visible.  The transmit cursor is present when transmit frequency
> is different from the main receiver frequency (when the K3 red "delta
> F" LED is on) even if one turns off the VFO B cursor.

A few months ago, an Elecraft customer asked Alan if a monochrome P3
waterfall option could be included in a FW update.  To no fanfare, the
option appeared in the menu after the next update.  It wasn't discussed
on the this list that I know of and I suspect that almost no one knows
it's there unless you spend a lot of time studying your P3 menu options.
  The customer was me.

I'm one of the 0.001% of the male population with no color vision [we're
all male].  My wife explained that the waterfall background was very
dark blue [looked black], and the weak signals were dark blue [looked
black I guess, I couldn't see them].  They had to get to S6 or so before
I could discern them.  In monochrome, I can see super-weak signals I
can't hear.  I can even discern if it is CW, RTTY, or some digital mode
in some cases.  Obviously, I miss out on quite a bit of the dazzle of
the Tokyo-By-Night radios that light up like the Ginza.  Those
manufacturers would have done nothing for one customer, of course.  More
basic, I'd have never found anyone to ask.

The P3 cursors are lines for me.  In fixed-tune mode, my receive
frequency cursor moves with the "Big Knob" making it really easy to find
regardless of color.  Depending on where I have the CW BW set, it may
also be a little fatter.  In split, my TX frequency appears as another
line, always higher in frequency and it moves with the VFO B knob.  I've
never heard the Up Cops sending "DOWN."  It too is easy to find.  Next
to the TX LED is a Delta-F LED that comes on if I am not transmitting on
my receive frequency ... for any reason whatsoever.  Over on the
display, there will be a little arrow pointing down to VFO B if I'm
split.  There are LED's around the RIT knob that light up if it [or XIT]
is engaged.

While I would take issue with Joe's use of "inexcusable" as a bit harsh,
I can't think of many more things Elecraft could have done to tell me
that I'm not transmitting on my receive frequency.  And they've managed
to do it for a ham who couldn't see any difference when color TV came
along in the 50's.  Nice going!!  I can't see the numerals on the keypad
either, but it's not a problem, I know what a key pad looks like.

Now, if I can just figure out what the "+" in the lower right corner of
the main display is telling me ...

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org