I went ahead and ordered the internal charger so that I have the clock and
so that I can keep a set of Eneloop XX batteries healthy inside the radio
for ultralight operations. I, too, am interested in solar charging of my
LiFePO4 packs.

If one feeds raw solar panel power to a battery, then things get "exciting"
to a degree, depending on what kind of battery is involved. I will defer to
those who have actual field experience as to when that is or is not
advisable.

BuddiPole now offers a solar charge controller for LiFePO4 battery packs.
It is $45.00 and charges the entire pack but is not a balancing charger. It
is small and compact for field use. One will want to periodically test and
balance their packs with a balancing charger.
http://www.buddipole.com/sobaco.html

An untested idea of mine (though I'm certainly not the first person to
think of it) is to feed a standard balancing charger with power from a
solar panel - as long as there is sufficient current and the voltage ranges
are compatible - or using a DC-to-DC device between the panel and
charger to maintain a steady voltage into the balancing charger. This is
certainly more moving parts and more weight. Again, I will defer to those
with actual field experience. Is this efficient? Is it practical? Has
anyone done this already and can report findings?

I suspect that for both the internal NiMh cells and the external 4SxP
LiFePO4 packs, a simple charger for field use and a smart charger for bench
use, will provide the best of both worlds.

Food for thought... and experimentation!

72/73 de JP WF4Z