On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Robert G. Strickland <rc...@verizon.net>wrote:

> ...I use CW almost exclusively, and I chase DX..

==========
Well, Bob, if you chase DX on CW you will get a major boost out of the 2nd
receiver. Once you have worked the easy ones, you'll find that just about
every new one you'll need will be operating split. It is so much easier to
snag the guy when you can listen on two frequencies at once. With 2
receivers, you can put the main on the DX and the sub, set to a wider
passband (I use 2 Khz), on the pile. You hear the DX in your left ear, the
calling stations in your right. Then with luck you can find the guy who's
currently working the DX, get your signal on or near his frequency, and
make your call.

This same routine is even slicker if you have both the 2nd receiver and a
panadapter. However, the panadapter by itself will not find the guy who's
working the DX, because the pile never stops calling even during a QSO, so
you'll see a bunch of spikes and you won't know which one is the station
that the DX is listening to.

Whatever you decide, good luck and good DX.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352