Few filters have vertical skirts.  They roll off gradually; the slope of
that rolloff is one of the measures of filter quality.

The filter width is often (but not always) described as the 6 dB down point
on that rolloff curve,  A filter described as 2.8 kHz wide will pass some
energy through at frequencies outside its 2.8 kHz bandwidth.

Graphs of representative Elecraft K3 filters are available at
http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3_filter_plots.htm

For example, the representative 2.8 kHz 8-pole filter is 2.888 kHz at 6 dB
down, and 4.488 kHz at 60 dB down.  The 2.7 kHz 5-pole filter is wider at
the 60 dB down point.

Some older radios depended on filtering to remove the unwanted sideband and
carrier.

Current generation radios generate just the desired SSB signal, without the
unwanted sideband and without the carrier.

There are a number of amplifiers after the SSB signal generation and
filtering that generate various levels of IMD products.

It's up to the radio manufacturer to provide equipment that meets the FCC
specified limits when the equipment is operated according to its owner-level
instructions.

It's up to us to operate the radio within these described limits in order to
keep the unwanted signals within the FCC-prescribed limits and good amateur
practice.
When the instruction manual says "4-5 bars", that doesn't mean "turn it up
as far as it will go".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuzpsO4ErOQ

None of this is specific to the K3 except the details of the filters.

73 de Dick, K6KR