Mike,

That sounds to me as though you have the input set for MIC rather than
line in, or something similar.

First I would suggest using Line In and use DATA mode (AFSK A submode),
select Line In in the MIC SEL menu.
Set the K3 into TX TEST (or set the power down and operate into a dummy
load) - set MMTTY into transmit, then --
Adjust the line out and Wave sliders on your soundcard to about 2/3 of
full scale.
Then adjust the MIC Gain (now actually Line In) to illuminate 4 bars on
the ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing - ignore the conventional
"wisdom" given for data mode setup (no alc indication) - the K3 is
different, the - the 1st 4 bars of the ALC meter do not indicate ALC at
all, they are there to help you adjust the audio level.  The 5th bar
indicates the onset of ALC

73,
Don W3FPR