I hope this isn't too far afield, but I'll take the chance in order for the
CW ops here looking for a new challenge to hear about it.

I do NOT want to start a long thread about the value of CW and emergency
nets. I DO want to pass along some information about a gang who isn't just
talking, but who are doing something about it: the gang at the National
Emergency Radio Network (NREN). Jim Wades at NREN is asking for more
participation from CW ops who want to get involved, up close and personal.

Most importantly, you do NOT have to be an experienced CW "hotshot" to be a
valuable participant.

 Here's what Jim has to say:

----------------------------------

Are you tired of the unprofessional methods heard during disaster
operations?

Numerous radio amateurs have complained about the lack of professionalism
present on various SSB nets during Hurricane Katrina.  While many of the
organizations sponsoring these nets have the best intentions, the fact
remains than an alternative is needed.

The answer to these problems is simple:   CW

The Amateur Radio response to Hurricane Katrina was problematic for several
reasons:

The lack of VHF coverage and repeaters, many of which were damaged or
destroyed, severely handicapped most ARES operators who had come to rely
extensively on VHF-FM.

Few HF phone operators in the disaster area could get up and running without
access to generators or the gasoline to run them.

Radio amateurs were unskilled in the use of proper message formats and
emergency communications methods.

NREN does not wish to compete with voice nets, many of which are doing the
best they can.  Likewise, we do not wish to replace existing ARES programs,
which serve a valuable local purpose.  Rather, our goal is to recruit CW
operators who wish to be properly trained and prepared to provide real,
professional grade emergency communications when the time comes.

CW offers many advantages for disaster communications.  Here are some facts:

CW Nets typically clear traffic three to four times faster than voice nets.

A simple, battery operated CW transceiver operating at 10-watts will have
the same reliability as a SSB station operating at 50 to 100-watts.  This
means a CW operator can establish and maintain communications for days
regardless of the availability of gasoline or AC mains.

CW Nets are typically uncluttered by the many inexperienced operators who
swoop down on unsuspecting voice nets only to clutter-up operations.

Portable CW equipment is simple, reliable, and consumes less power than
digital stations requiring notebook computers, printers, and other
peripherals.

How can you get involved?

Whether you are a CW operator, or you simply wish to become one, NREN is
developing a program to properly train radio amateurs to effectively handle
emergency communications via CW.  Our program will include practice
broadcasts with simulated messages, regular nets, periodic emergency drills,
and a periodic electronic newsletter with training information.

Our goal is not to compete with existing ARES, RACES or NTS programs, but
rather to compliment them with a quality grade of service.  We simply wish
to offer an alternative for the serious radio amateur; the radio amateur who
wants to provide a professional grade of service without disruption from
those that simply choose not to learn proper procedures and standard
methods.

NREN members will be encouraged to support local ARES and NTS groups, but we
hope NREN will be a primary resource for you in time of emergency.

Amateur Radio is full of competent CW operators including DX contesters,
"rag chewers," and others who regularly use CW.   These individuals can
easily develop the skills necessary to provide a real service to their
community if or when the "big one" hits.

If you were disappointed with the "Keystone Cops" style of response so
evident on 75 and 20-meter phone, register with NREN today!

Join by sending a simple e-mail to the NREN General Manage at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the subject line, simply state "Join NREN" to be added to the list

You can learn more about NREN at their website:
http://68.43.101.244:81/nren/

73,

Ron AC7AC