Please see comments below:

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Brian Alsop
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 4:26 AM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 USB request

On 11/9/2012 04:55, David G4DMP wrote:
>> In a recent message, Gary Smith <g...@ka1j.com>> writes
>>
>> It would put the cost up, Gary.  I understand that USB is like Dolby
>> in that it is a proprietary protocol for which equipment designers
>> would have to pay a premium.

There is nothing proprietary about USB at all. It is a standard, not a
protocol.

>>This expense would consequently be passed to the
>> customer.   RS232 or its 9-pin equivalent is so much simpler.
>>
>> 73 de David G4DMP
>>
>And should the desired "USB" be USB2 OR USB3?  USB3 is supposed to be
backwards compatible.  However, USB port specs >are apparently not frozen in
design.

I don't know what other meaning you give the word 'specification'. You
either met the spec or you can not use the USB logo. Granted there some
parts of the spec, like backward compatibility, that are 'musts' and other
parts, like sourcing power, which are 'mays'.
I think you miss some very import points. USB is a very general purpose
computer bus with hundreds of thousands of applications. Why would you want
to get burdened by compatibility issues when what you really want is an
interface?
MORE IMPORTANTLY, if you replace RS232 with either an interface or USB, you
break the code of every ham radio program out there that uses an RS232
interface. That is not a trivial matter. It's still a shovel with a rope
handle.
73
Fred, AE6QL

>Also note that the USB3 specs seem to imply that USB3 should be able to
supply 1.5A (sometimes 6). Thus the K3 would >most likely be required to
supply this additional power. More cost and complexity.  Plus the DC supply
to the K3 would most >likely have to be upgraded to provide this extra
current.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.