Actually, in many cases a USB port is used in conjunction with a
USB<->Serial converter chip, like the FTDI series, precisely to allow a
product to be accessed over USB without changing the serial protocol
originally used over the RS232 interface. The USB interface is exposed
to software on the PC via a virtual COM port, by means of the driver
supplied by the USB<->Serial port converter chip vendor. Existing
programs continue to work just fine.

I've done this for years at work, adding a USB port to our products
using an FTDI converter chip which is demanded by those customers using
laptops without an RS232 interface (and who do not want to mess around
with outboard USB<->Serial converter cables). In many cases the product
retains the original RS232 interface with DB9 connector as well, so the
device can be accessed one way or the other. The serial control
protocol is unchanged. Even firmware updates are done over the USB
interface, just as they were done over the RS232 interface. It's no
big deal to do this if all you need to do is sustain an existing serial
control protocol and PC software, rather than implement digital audio
transport over the USB interface.

Bob NW8L