I hate to be a contrarian, but the path is not quite so clear. That 5 to 7 dB can be the difference between making a contact or not making a contact, especially on the low bands. We're not always talking about the difference between S9, plus 20 or 25, but the difference between S0 or S.5, or being an S unit above the noise.

I currently don't have anything bigger than my KPA500 and I'm very happy with it, but anyone who says that 600 watts is always enough power doesn't try to work tough DX on 80 or 160m. A serious 160 op will tell you that 600 watts is often about 6 dB too little, sometimes more...

73,
Scott, N9AA