From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of hawley, charles j jr
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:16 PM
To: David Gilbert
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] new KPA 500 question

Ok...I was a little hasty I think. I've never been a contester and didn't
consider HAVING to make the contact in adverse conditions.

Sent from my iPad
Chuck, KE9UW
(Jack for BMW motorcycles)

On Dec 18, 2012, at 5:05 PM, "David Gilbert" <xda...@cis-broadband.com>
wrote:

> I totally agree ... there is nothing clear about that path at all. 5 db is
a HUGE difference if you're anywhere near the noise level on the other end,
and it is a major difference if you're competing against other weak stations
for a contact.  Under the right circumstances even 2 db can make a
significant difference.  I urge anyone who doesn't believe me to check out:

> http://www.ab7e.com/weak_signal/mdd.html
>
> QRP is fun and I've done a lot of it myself, but saying that 5 to 7 db is
not worth having in general is just nonsense.

> 73,
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 12/18/2012 3:14 PM, Scott Manthe wrote:
>> I hate to be a contrarian, but the path is not quite so clear. That 5 to
7 dB can be the difference between making a contact or not making a contact,
especially on the low bands. We're not always talking about the difference
between S9, plus 20 or 25, but the difference between S0 or S.5, or being an
S unit above the noise.

>> I currently don't have anything bigger than my KPA500 and I'm very happy
with it, but anyone who says that 600 watts is always enough power doesn't
try to work tough DX on 80 or 160m. A serious 160 op will tell you that 600
watts is often about 6 dB too little, sometimes more...

>> 73,
>> Scott, N9AA
>>

>> On 12/18/12 3:31 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>> I agree, the path is clear -- it is obvious --- sell the Commander as 5
to 7 dB is not worth having extra stuff around to fool with.  As said by a
person with a growing interest and desire for QRP contacts.

<c-haw...@illinois.edu> wrote:

> [...]
with the Commander in line. The path is clear...