The G5RV may work well, but I doubt if it'd work "better".

For most of my Ham "career" my mainstay antenna has been a doublet. That's a
center fed wire as long as I can make it (seldom over 150 feet since and
currently only about 50 feet) and as high as I can get it. It's fed with
open wire line using a balanced tuner.

The efficiency is excellent, even down to the band where it's only 1/4
wavelength long overall. At that extreme it's about 1 dB below a full-size
dipole. As always with a horizontal antenna, the big issue is height. For
best DX it needs to be about 1/2 wavelength above the ground: easy on 20
meters where that's about 32 feet, a bit harder on 40 where it's 64 feet and
pretty challenging for most ops on 80 where 1/2 wave off the ground means it
needs to be 130 feet high! That's why many ops who want to chase DX on 80 go
for a vertical. Less efficient on paper but still puts out more low angle
radiation than most of us can manage from a low horizontal antenna.

Of course, on those lower frequencies the horizontal is an excellent,
high-performing short-skip or "NVIS" antenna providing excellent signals out
to maybe 500 or even 1000 miles. My doublet at 30 feet has about 6 dB gain
"straight up" on 40. I've worked a few Japanese and Europeans on it on 40,
but most of my 40 meter contacts are in North America and my 80 meter
contacts show very good signals out to 600 miles or so. On 30 and 20 it's a
good DX performer that often gets me DX stations answering my CQ running my
K2/100 on CW. I couldn't help but smile to see that Mike, ZL1MH reported to
Kevin that I was one of the three stateside stations he could copy in New
Zealand during the ECN last Sunday afternoon on 20 meters.

The bottom line is that most of the "designs" that have become popular over
the years are simply variations on either the basic doublet that I use or
the basic "Marconi" antenna worked against ground. Some of them provide a
somewhat easier range of impedances for the ATU to handle, and others, like
the common center-fed 1/2 wave 'dipole' provide an easy match for cheap and
easy-to-handle coaxial feed lines, albeit only on the bands where they are
either 1/2 or 3/2 waves long.

Ron AC7AC