From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Phil Hystad
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:56 PM
To: j...@audiosystemsgroup.com
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Is the K3 a "fun" radio to operate ?

On Jan 16, 2013, at 10:49 AM, Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/2013 10:03 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> My question is what is a fun radio?  I have heard that some think the K3,
being somewhat menu driven, is not a fun radio where as something like a
Yaesu with a button and knob for every function is fun.

> You have heard wrong.  The radio is VERY easy to operate.  Menus on the K3
are used to change SETUP functions -- that is, to tailor the radio to the
way you want to use it.

No Jim, I have heard right.  I hear a lot of people say that the K3 is menu
driven and therefore not easy to operate.  On Eham for example, just about
every time someone suggests the K3 as a good radio to have, someone else or
multiple someones will raise that complaint about the K3.  If I am in some
QSO and give my rig as the K3 someone might ask if it is hard to use with
the menus and all that.

But, you have me pegged wrong though.  I am not saying it is hard to
operate.  I love my K3 and I would not switch away from it for any radio
that now exists (I may switch to something yet to be built and most likely
something new and improved like an Elecraft K4 or K5 or whatever.  But, the
fact is, among those who have not used a K3, this one complaint about it
versus other radios like yaesus or whatever seems to be a stickler.  I agree
that it is not well founded but it does exist.

Disclaimer:  I own a KX1, KX3, K3, P3, KPA500, KAT500 and several of the
mini-module kits.

phil