I'd be interested to see the EMC Test Report on the P3, required for selling
into the EU and I think Australia, the P3 should not radiate emissions at this
level and pass EN55022 or similar standards. Perhaps Elecraft could comment
please?. I was thinking of picking up a P3 at Dayton but may hang fire...

As hams we have no right to complain about PLT, Plasma TV etc if we don't keep
our own house in order.

Best regards, Tim Hague, MIET, MIEEE,
Skype m0afj.Tim
Sent on my iPad

On 10 Feb 2013, at 23:44, "Roger Crofts" <ro...@monitorsensors.com> wrote:

> I recently installed the K144XV 2meter converter in my K3. I could work
> strong stations on 2m with no problem, but weak stations were swamped by
> noise which was S9 over the entire band. My P3 was showing that the noise
> consisted of carriers every 19KHz with lots of buzzy noise in-between. I soon
> found the source of the noise. It was the P3 !  When I turned the P3 power
> off, the noise completely disappeared. With the P3 on and the antenna
> replaced with a dummy load, the noise also all but disappeared. When I
> removed the RS232 cable and the IF cable from the P3, leaving only the power
> cable, the noise persisted at the same strength. So it appears that the P3
> box is radiating this noise directly into my antenna. My antenna is a 2meter
> ground plane on the roof of my shack. It is about 8 feet from the P3.
> Obviously a solution would be to move my 2 meter antenna well away from the
> shack. I was not able to find any mention of this problem in the archives. Is
> there something wrong
 wi