I recently installed the K144XV 2meter converter in my K3. I could work strong
stations on 2m with no problem, but weak stations were swamped by noise which
was S9 over the entire band. My P3 was showing that the noise consisted of
carriers every 19KHz with lots of buzzy noise in-between. I soon found the
source of the noise. It was the P3 !  When I turned the P3 power off, the noise
completely disappeared. With the P3 on and the antenna replaced with a dummy
load, the noise also all but disappeared. When I removed the RS232 cable and
the IF cable from the P3, leaving only the power cable, the noise persisted at
the same strength. So it appears that the P3 box is radiating this noise
directly into my antenna. My antenna is a 2meter ground plane on the roof of my
shack. It is about 8 feet from the P3. Obviously a solution would be to move my
2 meter antenna well away from the shack. I was not able to find any mention of
this problem in the archives. Is there something wrong wi
 th my particular P3 or do they all do this?

Roger Crofts, VK4YB