I used to have a box from A&A Engineering called a Smooth Voice Controller.  It
was a VOXer with a short audio delay line (bucket brigade IC) to allow the PTT
to get to the radio before your first syllable.  The result was no clipping at
the beginning of each phrase.  The only downside was that monitoring yourself
with headphones was tricky with the delay.  But the VOX results were very good.

I've always thought that this concept would be a great improvement to the K3's
VOX and could be done readily in the DSP.  It could be a menu setting with the
voice delay variable from 0 (normal operation) to some fixed amount.  It would
only need to be enabled when VOX was on.

73, Bob N7ZO