I suspect that the power handling is not really dependent on the SWR, but rather on the nature of the impedance that gives rise to that SWR (the resistance and both the magnitude and the sign of the reactance).

One antenna system showing a 3:1 SWR might produce high voltages and low currents in the tuner, and another the opposite. The stress on the different components might vary all over the place.

I know Elecraft is conservative, but I recommend caution  in this case.