Don just by way of update, I have now tried again to do the CAL S LOW and CAL
S HI here are the results.
The CAL S LOW reading is now at 164
The CAL S HI    reading is now at 23

Some odd things that have happened.
1. I adjusted R1 to get a voltage at U2 pin 5 of 3.80 volts. When this was
done I was back to the old bad readings again. CAL S LOW of 255 and CAL S HI
of nothing at all it just would not work for me I was not able to any LED
bars to light when the RF gain was turned fully clockwise.
2. I then adjusted R1 so U2 pin 5 was back to 3.74 and then I tried to
adjust again and still no luck
3. I then removed the boards again and looked at them as they were put back
together. I did notice J8 was not seated fully. As I looked I found (looking
from the back of the rig) the 2D fastener on the right side had a washer on
it and it was under the control board and not allowing J8 to seat flush. I
loosened the phillips screw and moved the washer forward and out from under
the control board.When I put it back together all was working well again and
I was able to align the S meter.
4. The last thing was after the alignment was done I came back to the radio
and turned the RF gain fully counter clockwise and the S meter would not go
to 10 but was flashing between 9 and 10 bars. I then went into CAL S HI and
tweak it a bit from a reading of 23 to 22. All seems to be ok now.
That's where I stand at the moment Don.
Mike