I have 2 of the SS-30M and have never seen this problem (fan noise). They are very quiet whether the fan is running or not. I like the "M" version with meters. They are powering 3 radios including the K-3 and 2 brick amps. I find it helpful to have the ammeters. For example, this past weekend I had a feedline connector problem which resulted in the brick dropping power output. It was immediately apparent via the ammeter that there was a problem. The only issue I've had was a failed rocker switch which was easily replaced since it snapped in and the wiring used Faston terminals. The older one I've been running for 12 years now and going strong!

73,
Josh W6XU