Hello Simon,
I just built my KX1 and like you thought the paddles wouldn't be good for
me.  Wayne, N6KR convinced me to try them, and I must admit as he said, they
grow on you, and they are really convenient.  When constructed properly
according to the instructions, they actually have a nice feel, and having
them able to be attached to the radio for hand-held operation is actually a
plus.

The ATU is quite good, and I have used it to tune my PAC-12 vertical, (set
up with the whip fully extended and let the tuner give the exact match to
save time), all my home antennas, (folded dipole, tri-band beam and a 130
foot inverted U wire that's end fed).  It matched to 1.5:1 or better on the
wires.  It would match the PAC-12 when the appropriate coil was installed,
and would match 30 meters with the 40 meter coil installed, but not radiate
as well.  It would not match 30 or 40 with the 20 meter coil installed or 40
with the 30 meter coil installed to below 2.1:1 SWR.  The beam, of course
loaded fine 1.0:1 indicated on 20 meters.

The internal AA pack is included with all KX1's, so buy some good alkaline
batteries to take with you anyway as they might come in handy.  The rig will
take its power from whichever input has the highest voltage, so yes, the
small gel cells will be very useful as well.  You should get 4 watts out
with the 12V gel cells, and 1.9 or so with the AA's.

The RX in the KX1 is no K2, but then that's not surprising with the Gilbert
Cell mixer (SA-612) in the front end.  It does have extremely adequate
sensitivity, and the 4 crystal, adjustable filter provides excellent
selectivity.  It also has a feature I haven't seen on other small DDS
transceivers.  You can switch between USB, LSB and Normal (CW).  Of course,
it won't transmit SSB, but when in the USB/LSB modes, it offsets the TX
frequency so that when an SSB station is tuned in to receive properly, the
SSB operator will hear your CW signal at about 600 Hz tone.  This can be a
real asset in an emergency (provided the SSB operator can copy CW hi hi).

I hadn't originally planned to get the KXPD1 paddles, but now that I have
them, I find that I like them and don't carry my other small paddles in the
KX1's travel case.

Jim, W0EB
K2 #4338, KX1 #1268