It is common for antennas to be cut a little long, because it is easier to
remove wire than to add it. It looks like your antenna is resonant at or a
little below the end of each band, so you'll need to shorten it.

The instructions for your antenna explain how to do this. See the section "take
the time to properly tune the antenna" in these instructions:

http://www.lnrprecision.com/manual/EF102040MKII.pdf

The SWR is lower at the other end of the coax runs because of losses in the
coax. That is normal.

wunder
K6WRU

On Jul 8, 2013, at 9:52 PM, Esquer Dave wrote:

> Newbie KX3 owner ALERT
> LNR Precision EndFedz EF-10/20/40KMII Antenna SWR tuning help needed (kind,
> constructive, helpful discussions/words please)!
>
>                                       Measured SWR (2 measurements at 2
> different times of the day)
> Mhz           At SO-239       after 26' coax  after 41' coax run
> 7.0           1.35                    1.1                     1.0
> 7.125 4.0                     2.5                     1.5
> 7.3           10.0                    6.0                     2.0
>
> 14.0          1.5                     1.2                     1.5
> 14.15 1.25                    1.1                     1.5
> 14.35 1.1                     1.1                     1.6
>
> 28.0          1.8                     1.7                     1.6
> 28.3          2.0                     1.8                     1.7
> 29.0          3.5                     2.5                     3.0
> 29.7          3.9                     4.0                     4.2
>
> My ideal shack location is with the 26' of coax, the 41' is secondary outside
> location (fair weather).
>
> What should I do for the 40 and 10 meter wavelengths to tune? I think I leave
> the 20 meter portion alone? Once the 20 meter is tuned, the 10 meter falls
> into place supposedly but …
> Why do my values vary so much? I sort of see a pattern. I want to physically
> tune the antenna and not rely on the internal Elecraft ATU. I want to
> maximize my QRP.
>
> Inverted L configuration with 2/3 vertical and 1/3 horizontal.
>
> Equipment:
> LNRPrecision EndFedz EF-10/20/40KMII Antenna
> Elecraft KX3, ATU installed but disabled (not bypassed).
> LMR240UF for all coax
> MFJ870 Grandmaster SWR meter
> All frequencies tuned using FM option at 5 watts
> I don't have an antenna analyzer, yet.
>
> Just like in woodshop, measure twice, cut once! Again, NEWBIE advice much
> appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> Dave, K6WDE

Walter Underwood