Ed,

>> Bypassing the ATU did not change the level so I guess the ATU was
>> already adjusted to 50-ohms.

I have not checked the KX3 schematic but based on the K2 and K3
"bypassing" the ATU only adjusts it to a stored condition that the CPU
'thinks' represents 50 Ohms.  I've seen several of the other rigs be
very far off when the ATU is bypassed and known 50 Ohm load attached.

I would always "tune" into a known 50 Ohm load before switching the
ATU to bypass - or in the case of the K3 use the RX IN - before making
any measurements if the radio under test has an ATU installed.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV