I had a similar experience. I sent my K3 back to the factory a couple of weeks
ago. When I took it to the UPS shipper here, he had to call UPS  for special
instructions since the declared valued was so high. I had it packed in the box
Elecraft sent it back to me the last time I sent it in. UPS made me take it
home and double box it. The cost to ship it UpS ground from TX was $78. It's on
its way back to me now, I am sure in the single box with foam padding from
Elecraft and the cost is in the mid $30 range. I'm not sure if it's the
insurance or what but it's a big difference in both packaging and cost.

John KE4D

Sent from my iPad