I have used FedEx locally when shipping a variety of items, including some
pretty pricey ham gear, as well as some pretty pricey pieces of art.

When I have gone to the local KINKOS, they REQUIRE that they box it, and
double box it if the value is above some specific amount.  I recently
needed to ship an FT1000D.  They would not accept the box it was in, even
as the interior box... and the box sizes they had available would have
resulted in a HUGE final package, at a cost of over $60 for packaging, and
another $80 to ship it to Burghardt for repair.  They would not cut down
any of their boxes to make the size more reasonable.

Instead I took it directly to the local FedEx office, which is actually
closer to my home, but not as easy to find.  They had no problem with the
my box as an interior box, but agreed that it was not in good enough
condition to ship as it was.  They cut down a box they had to end up with a
double box of reasonable size.  They did not charge for that, and the
shipping was FAR less than what I would have paid if I went with the KINKOS
option.  I am fortunate to have that choice locally.

Dave - K9FN