I spoke to an Elecraft employee about bugs in the W2, and he confirmed that there are a number of them and that they are planning to come out with a new version of the firmware at some point (I don't want to say 'real soon now').

The manual IS incorrect about the alarm needing to be turned on each time you power on. In a previous firmware update they made it 'sticky' so that once you enable it, it stays enabled until you turn it off.