 From: Jack <vhfp...@gmail.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Advice on 6 meters...

Sorry, Willis, but the beacons are operated in a narrow range of
frequencies well below the normal CW DX frequencies of 50.080-50.100MHz.
>From Ecuador I heard many beacons from South and Central America, the
Caribbean and the US, and none of them were anywhere near my operating
frequency of 50.097MHz. Roughly 2/3 of my QSOs were CW and the remainder
SSB so the statement "there is very little CW" is absolutely untrue.

Jack, W6NF/VE4SNA

On 2/26/2014 10:45 AM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:
> Phil, 6 meters is vacant most of the time except for locals.  When it is
> good, it is mostly E skip with occasional F skip.  Some of us who have more
> than 200 countries on all bands except 160 and 6 like it for the challenge,
> but figure on a lot of tuning for an occasional opening.  There is very
> little CW, but there is some around 50.090 to 50.095.  Most of the CW band is
> clobbered by beacons when the band is open.  A large portion of the stations
> on 6 meters have Technician operators who do not do code often.  If you find
> yourself tuning 10 meters during the sun spot nulls, you will find 6 meters
> much like that during the sun spot peaks.  A four or five element beam will
> make 6 meters look like 10 with a dipole or a vertical when the band is open.
>  Most QSOs will not even exchange names, just grid codes and usually don't
> even bother with 59.  In spite of all this, I still like it and operate it
> some.  It is much more interesting to me than
>   RTTY or PSK and one of the few CW stations you hear there will be K5EWJ.
>So if the lower bands bore you and Digital bores you even more, then maybe 6
>meters is your game.
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke, TDXS DX Chairman
> K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

---
is active.