Well, for what it's worth: I've had my P3 for about a year now, and I've found that how one operates it is highly personal and takes some time.

Function Keys: Mine are all SPAN selections, 4 [for looking at a single signal's spectrum, 20 [almost always my choice for CW], 50 [CW/RTTY in contests], 100 [SSB], and 200 [last used when tracking down noise from an SMPS]. The other 3 have yet to be assigned.

Averaging: 2 or sometimes 3 [exactly the opposite of Jim's setting :-))]. My screen is split in the middle and I use the monochrome waterfall setting [colorblind, thanks Alan!]. I haven't used the PEAK function since I first tried it out. I always use FIX TUNE [end points are stable, receive cursor moves as I tune]. I use the FULL SCREEN mode when I tune past the edge of the display [the half-screen really confuses this OF].

I can tell the difference [barely] between the VFO A and VFO B cursor unless I'm split, then they look the same. I've gotten fairly adept at keeping track of VFO B and haven't incurred the wrath of the UP Cops in a long time. The two MKR cursors look the same to me but since they appear in the WF, I distinguish them from the VFO cursors easily. I've used MKR A a bit, usually when looking a a single signal's spectrum, I've never used MKR B and I've never QSY'd with the cursors.

I run the dBm scale on the ordinate and normally have the REF LVL set so the noise is right on the baseline and the top of the spectrum display is -100 to -95 or so. My K3 S-meter is in absolute mode and I calibrated it to -73 dBm = S9 with my service monitor. Running it like this, the background of the WF is black and signals even right at the noise floor will trace visible lines.

As Jim says, read the manual several times and get the definitions of all the terms straight in your head. Fred Cady's K3 book has a section on the P3 and it is super useful. YMWV ["Your Mileage *WILL* Vary], as I said, it seems to be a very personal thing.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org