Larry Lopez wrote
> So you need a linear phase filter.
> Is the DSP filter linear phase ?

I teach DSP and filters at the University of Oslo. Of the two DSP filter
types, FIR (Finite Impulse Response) and IIR (Infinite Impulse Response),
only an FIR filter can be designed to have exact linear phase and constant
group delay. But an FIR filter can also have a non-linear phase, but that is
the exception. Therefore I assume that the K3's FIR filter is linear phase
(I couldn't find this mentioned in the manual).

If you really need the presumably linear phase response of the FIR filter,
then that requires that the DSP filter is much narrower than the roofing
filter (crystal filter) so that the DSP filter is the main contributor to
the passband and transition band responses.

This is however not the usual way to run JT9 and JT65, but rather that the
filters in the decoder software running in the PC provide the narrow
bandwidth. I believe they are FFT-based filter banks which is also a kind of
FIR filter with linear phase.

The K3 manual has this to say on the DSP filters and how to select:

"Narrow DSP Filter Types

For bandwidth settings of 100 Hz or lower, the K3’s DSP normally uses a type
of filter that minimizes ringing: the Finite Impulse Response or FIR filter.
If you’d like steeper filter skirts, and don’t mind a small amount of
ringing, you can select Infinite Impulse Response” or IIR filters for these
bandwidths. Locate CONFIG:FLx BW menu entry, then tap 7 until you see IIR
ON. Both main and sub receivers will use the same setting.

IIR filters take longer to change from one bandwidth to another, so you may
hear audio artifacts when adjusting the DSP controls. If this is
objectionable, use the default FIR filters."

73
Sverre

-----
Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications:
http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html