Phase noise is an issue, however, adjacent signals in the filter passband
seem to have more of an impact on the ability to decode weak signals than
the phase noise associated with narrower filters.  I have been able to
decode weak DX stations with 400Hz and even 250Hz filters that I could not
decode at all with wider filters.

73, Bob - N7RJN