Phase noise is *not* the problem/solution being discussed.
It is the phase *shift* through the filter. That is signals (within the passband) of one frequency are not delayed by exactly the same amount of time as signals of another frequency. That is a different 'animal' than phase noise.

All filters will have some phase shift. but the better filters will have minimal phase shift within the flat portion of the passband. As you get closer to the slope (edges) of the passband, the phase will shift rapidly as the frequency changes.

The point is - to avoid large phase shift distortion, keep the filter width as wide as possible given consideration for reducing large signals by shifting the filter or otherwise moving the offending signal outside the passband.

Yes, there is often a compromise that must be made in the real world of operating.

73,
Don W3FPR