The hardware AGC cannot be turned off - it is a protection system for the ADC that proceeds the DSP and must be protected from overload otherwise garbage will be the result. Yes, the tunable notch will attenuate signals that are within the passband of the roofing filter, but only the roofing filter can eliminate those strong signals that activate the hardware AGC. AGC off only applies to the DSP AGC. Apples and Oranges!

73,
Don W3FPR