The trouble with the K3 notch is that it is outside the agc loop(audio notch)
unlike the Icom radio. It may notch out the tone but not the carrier. A huge
signal will still swamp the receiver. You will get arguments that this is
better on receiver imd performance but I think I could live with receiver
imd degradradation for the small if not brief time I would use the  inside
the agc loop notch.

73, John N1JM
k6dgw wrote
> I rarely use the manual notch on CW, I've had other rigs with notch
> filters, and I rarely used them either ... it seems that the filter in
> my head is enough.
>
> I'm not on SSB very much [compromised hearing, not mode-aversion], and
> I've occasionally used the auto-notch on SSB when in
> longer-than-a-contest-QSO mode.  It's always worked very well for me.  I
> suppose there is some accompanying distortion, that's what happens when
> you punch out a narrow part of the baseband, but honestly, it reduced
> the carrier to where I couldn't hear it.
>
> I think, but do not know, that the performance of several of the K3 DSP
> "features" are closely related to the AGC parameters being used.  This
> makes sense, the AGC is distorting the signal possibly before the other
> "features" are getting the number stream.  All of that is above my pay
> grade.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 7/31/2014 3:12 PM, David Cole wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I find I must also agree with the complaints regarding notching...  I
>> just cam from a Icom 756 P3, and the notching was far superior to the
>> K3.

> Post: mailto:

> Elecraft@.qth

> Message delivered to