The Icom’s manual notch is inside the AGC loop, but not the auto notch.

The early (Version 1) Orion firmware had the auto notch inside the AGC loop,
and it was one of the many great features of that radio.  In AM mode, you could
punch in audo-notch and it would remove the carrier to let just the sideband
energy drive the AGC — which often made uncopyable low-modulation percentage AM
signals readable.  And of course, auto-notched interfering carriers would not
affect AGC.  When Ten-tec completely rewrote the software (Version 2) they
moved the auto notch outside the loop, and there were universal complaints (at
least compared to how the notch worked in V1 firmware). It’s unfortunate that
there were other factors that eventually led to the rewrite.

Obviously there are design tradeoffs, and I don’t fully understand them all.
But it does seem that it’s feasible to put a manual (e.g. non-adaptive) notch
inside the AGC loop without doing too much damage to IMD or other specs. Maybe
even do it as a menu selectable option if there are performance tradeoffs.

Grant NQ5T