I participated in a local ARES net with my KX3/2M combo and a mirage B-310-G
and B-34-G amps.  We were using Olivia 1000/32 using 2M verticals to pass
traffic around the valley and Tucson testing various power levels.

Long story short,  these mirage amps work well but the 310 consumes 9 amps even
when driven with .3 watts in / 30w out from the KX3-2M, and the B-34 uses a
more field-use reasonable 3.9 amps when driven with 3 Watts In/ 20 watts out
from the KX3.  The net current usage is more optimal with the KX3 + B34G, but
using this combination the KX3 over heats and shuts off.   Here's where my
confusion comes in.

The back of the KX3 where the primary FETs are were hot.   I was under the
impression that the KX3 used a 50Mhz IF to drive the 2M module and the 2M FET
on the side would be where the heat is generated, ultimately being the part
that would overheat if driven too long.   But it seemed that the rear FETs were
where the max heat was generated, ultimately resulting in a self protection
shutdown.   Can I get some clarification on why this happened and what the
drive level of the IF is?

I have a heat sink to install but have not done it yet.  I have two KX3's, and
will likely make one my digital high-duty cycle KX3 if this is unavoidable at
even 3W.  I have a 2M module in both KX3s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozy311/15255424125/sizes/h/

Thank you ahead of time!

Chris
K6OZY