After about 10 minutes of running 10M CW during the contest yesterday my
KPA3 shut down  with the "ERR 12" message and it reverted  to bypass mode
just like the manual says it's supposed to.  The KPA3 circuit breaker had
not tripped.  I opened the box and could see nothing amiss.  I removed  both
leads/connectors on the breaker and tested it .. Not open . put the leads
back on after working and repositioning a bit . put it all back together and
fired up again.. And all worked fine .  The relay was working and the fans
were working well at all four speeds..I didn't do much in the contest, but
got back on the air and did run  for a total of about two hours . all on 10
meters. driving my amp with about 35-40 watts out as usual and CQing for
CQWW.

Late last evening I fired the rig up again, went to 160 meters and
immediately had the same problem on the first keydown . the KPA3 shut down
and went into bypass and ERR 12 came up.  Again, the breaker was not open.
It does not seem to be temperature related  as both shutdowns occurred with
little to zero prior transmitting . and the fans seem to be kicking on when
they're supposed to.

This morning I opened the box again but this time removed the KPA3 board to
check it out. nothing obvious on inspection.  Thinking that it may be a
possible connector problem I carefully worked the board back into place and
made certain that it was fully seated.  Put all back together and, again,
everything seemed to work as it should.  I then spent about 20 minutes
transmitting CW on all bands at 100 watts . there has been no 'ERR 12' up to
this point  .. The PA temp leveled out about 38-39 degrees C while
transmitting.  Supply voltage is a solid 13.8V .... and holds at about 12.0V
on continuous keydown at 100W.  So all seems to be back to working as it
should.  But something must be amiss and I'm just waiting for it all to
happen again.

Has anyone had a similar experience?   any ideas?  I'd appreciate feedback .

Thanks in advance,

Don, N5LZ