Actually, I would say its a good choice for any new ham (Tech or General License).

It has both 10m and 6m for the Tech at 8w output which can work quite well when bands are open, and locally if not. Add the 2M module and you have 2m at 3w which will work nearby repeaters. But both 6m and 2m SSB or digital modes can also be used which offers increased diversity of operating.

First step to increase usability is get a good antenna for any band considered, then maybe an amplifier. I have a HB 140w HF amp, a Mirage 125w 6m amp, and RFConcepts 35w 2m amp which the KX3 can drive. The whole lot can go mobile.

The good part is when you advance in ham radio the KX3 has the capabilities to advance with you, so its not just a starter rig. Firmware improvements and additions preclude it becoming outdated technology. Quality and performance it is hard to beat for the bucks! Had I now already had a K3, the KX3 would probably be my first purchase.

Of course I am not a new ham (56-years since I got my Novice: a week from tomorrow). So its a good new radio for an old timer - too! ;-)

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: