From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Gary
Gregory
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 12:29 AM
To: d...@w3fpr.com
Cc: Elecraft List
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Is the KX3 a good choice for a new General?

Don

You should add that the K3 has been around for quite awhile now so it has
proven not just its performance but adoption by many knowledgeable hams
around the world and has also proven very reliable operating in less than
ideal conditions....ask me how i know this....:-)

No better advertisement than customer satisfaction i suppose....grin Gary
Vk1ZZ K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
On 06/12/2014 3:48 PM, "Don Wilhelm" <w3...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, simple is better, but if that new ham is interested in having a
> top-notch station, he will be well advised to consider Elecraft gear.
> If for no other reason than the Elecraft gear is upgradable -- one
> does not have to buy the "whole ball of wax" at the initial purchase
> time, it can be upgrades as operating needs arise.
>
> My typical response to new hams is that they do not yet know what they
> will want for whatever type of operation they might eventually become
> interested in, so yes, they should get some operating experience under
> their belts before deciding on which rig they would want for their
> station.  That can be simply a borrowed transceiver to get that new
> ham on the air.
>
> However, if the new ham does not have  locals who will loan him
> transceivers to "get on the air", the KX3 offers a great receiver, and
> a limited number of options, which I believe will serve the novice
> operator well for a very long time.  The only question is "do you want
> higher than
> 15 watts power"?  If yes, then the KXPA100 is available and if you do
> not have resonant antennas, the KXAT100 is a good wide range auto tuner.
>
> The K3 is also a good choice for beginning hams.  Many get hung up on
> what filters to purchase with the K3, but my recommendation to the new
> ham is to purchase no optional filters - the DSP provides gppd
> filtering except in crowded band conditions such a contests and
> extreme DXing.  As operating experience is gained, that new ham who
> has now been seasoned may want additional filters, and they are easily
> added to the K3.  Likewise the SubRX may be useful in some operating
> scenarios, but the new ham would not know the advantages provided by the
SubRX until he "gets his feet wet".

delivered to n...@comcast.net