I also believe the real problem is the "click and transmit" action of the operator. We seem to have lost the "listen before transmitting" polite operating considerations.

Listening before transmitting requires the operator an opportunity to think about where he is going to transmit, and that should provide a time to check whether the K3 is in SPLIT or not. There is not much the K3 can do to enforce good operating practices.

73,
Don W3FPR