On 2015-07-30 4:36 AM, Peter Eijlander (PA0PJE) wrote:
> I have the impression he *DOES* know what he's talking about...

Any time someone says to run the "microphone" level of a PCM29xx
series USB CODEC at 100%, he obviously does not know what he is
talking about.  100% represents 30 dB of gain (appropriate for
a microphone) - about a 30 x increase in voltage between the
codec input and ADC - which will most certainly cause clipping.

The Microsoft supplied drivers for Windows 7 (and presumably
Windows XP/Vista) do not make setting the CODEC gain easy as
they are *all gain* from 3% to 100% but it can be done.  The
drivers for Windows 8/8.1 have been fixed in that the microphone
setting is gain above about 50% and attenuation below that.

*THERE IS NO PROBLEM IN WINDOWS 8/8.1*.  In any Windows version
the easy solution is to *right click* on the microphone slider,
set the units to display in dB, and set the level to 0 dB +/-
1 dB.

In addition to the difficulty in setting levels in Windows 7
and before, there is a bug in the USB Audio Class driver with
regard to any USB Audio device that reports *one* microphone
input - Windows will reset the level to maximum gain each time
that endpoint (input) is opened.  Resetting the input level to
100% is the only "bug" here and that has been fixed in Windows
8/8.1 (presumably Windows 10 but I have not updated any of my
systems to confirm the repair is present).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV