While the Bird wattmeters are highly respected, consider the following with respect to any analog wattmeter:

The Bird can be as accurate as 5% of full scale - that means that with a 100 watt slug, a 5 watt potential error at any point on the scale. Attempting to measure a 20 watt actual signal with a 100 watt slug can indicate anywhere between 15 watts and 25 watts. Not a lot of precision in that measurement.

In addition, that 5% figure is only valid right after calibration. How many hams with Bird slugs have had them recently calibrated - my guess is that few have done that. So, figure a possible 10 percent error (of the full scale reading) when evaluating power with a Bird wattmeter. Yes the Bird can be better than the average amateur wattmeter which are typically spec'ed for 20% of the full scale reading.

Exceptions to that are several of the digital wattmeters - the Elecraft W1 and W2 as well as the Telepost LP-100 will give you within 5% of the actual power reading rather than as a percentage of full scale.

As my wise old college professor said - engineer, know your tools, but more importantly, know their limitations. In other words, do not depend on what the instrument says, but consider its potential errors as well.

The oscilloscope method that I described is dependent on the exact resistance of the dummy load. If you do not have a good 50 ohm non-reactive dummy load, the result will not be accurate. I have taken particular pains to have dummy loads that are accurate. Yes, I also have dummy loads that are based on the Heathkit Cantenna, but I use them only for dummy loads in the hamshack, those are not used for measurements at the workbench.

73,
Don W3FPR