Rob,

Did you set the CONFIG: RS232 to USB? You should then be able to get K3Utility to communicate with the K3 over USB. Once you accomplish that, you should be able to download the new firmware through the USB port.

If that does not work, set the switch on the back of the board to the RS-232 position and connect the PC (with a USB to serial adapter) to the dongle provided with the upgrade kit - be sure to set the RS-232 menu parameter back to 38400 to use RS-232.

I recall that firmware 4.86 is before the memory slots for the TX Gain data was moved, so be sure to run TX Gain Calibration after the firmware upgrade.

73,
Don W3FPR