Fair enough, I am very happy with my KX3, a third party heatsink made it work
for me on digital modes at the power I need. I mainly use it on 144 MHz
currently with an external transverter. I actually enjoyed doing the
temperature compensation procedure, it was fun.

The 817 is a nice all in one rugged box, however you can't compare the
ergonomics or receive performance with the KX3.

Compromises have been made in the KX3 to make it small as a trail radio, a much
bigger heatsink would not have been appreciated by hikers. They did upgrade the
heatsink (a bit) in later models however. The KX2 uses the si5351 instead of
the si570 synth, so in theory could use an external high stability reference.

I prefer some of the features in the KX3 that the KX2 doesn't have, and like
the larger size, AM FM, 50 MHz, PX3 option, internal 4m transverter option. So
for me the choice remains the KX3. Good to have a choice though. The new
internal battery pack is about the only thing in the KX2 that I wish the KX3
had.

73 from David GM4JJJ