On Tue,6/7/2016 7:45 AM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
Re this "If you want something more compact to carry up the trail with your KX2 or KX3, look at lightweight computer headsets, which plug into those radios directly, or with a simple adapter you can buy on amazon for $5." could you be more specific on the simple adapter at Amazon? I have one somewhere but cannot find it, so need a replacement.

Headsets are something that we need to try on, like a pair of shoes -- it essentially comes down to physical comfort. It's hard to buy something online knowing what it will feel like. :) I'm primarily a CW op, especially QRP, and I'm old enough that backpacking doesn't apeal to me, so I've never bothered to look for a backpacking headset/mic. For lightweight headphones, I like the Etymotic Research and Shure in-ear products.

TXEQ in Elecraft radios is so good that virtually any mic that isn't "broke" can be made to sound good.

73, Jim K9YC