Hi Kevin,

It is very possible that what you are experiencing is noise induced by common-mode currents from your antenna system. These currents take any path connected to the chassis of the rig including ANY AC mains connected power supply, regardless of whether it is a switcher or linear. The 10~100 nF average input-to-output capacitance of AC operated power supplies provides a low-impedance path from the DC output to the AC mains at ham frequencies. We have done a LOT of testing of this characteristic here at PAE in order to separate conducted RFI from RFI caused by common-mode current. After identifying this as a problem which is usually worse in portable antennas we took extreme pains to reduce this I/O capacitance with the Kx33 and we were able to achieve less than 100pF, making the Kx33 much less conducive to allowing common-mode noise.

Elimination of common-mode currents has many benefits including cleaning up the pickup and radiation pattern of the antenna, elimination of receive noise, and reducing or eliminating RFI-induced events like alarm system triggering (ask me about that one). When using a superhet receiver, baseband AC mains hum is not detected as it can be with a direct-conversion (DC) receiver. This problem plagued early DC receivers like the Heathkit HW-7 which often buzzed like a bee when operated from a linear 12V supply.Fortunately this current can be greatly reduced by the use of common-mode choking on the antenna feedline, DC power lead or both. As has been stated here innumerable times, common-mode choking should be done on all antennas at the feedpoint and optionally but beneficially at the shack end as well. An excellent reference on this subject has been written by our own Jim Brown K9YC and can be viewed at:

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Cheers & 73,
Howard Hoyt - WA4PSC
www.proaudioeng.com