And for heaven's sake, get a good anti-static pad and wrist strap!

George, W3HBM

On 8/5/2016 2:27 PM, Bob Novas wrote:
For me, the TMP connectors were hard, and installing the sub receiver was
hard. The rest was reasonably easy.  Go slow and follow the advice in this
thread.  Maybe someone else has words of wisdom on the TMP connectors.  The
TMP connectors killed my fingers. I wound up using needle nose pliers to
insert them. Also be sure to trim the center wires as instructed.  And,
inventory the cables and use the right length cable for each cable
connection.

Note that the word connector appears in the assembly manual 119 times.
You'll be futzing with a lot of connectors!  (Not THAT many, but a lot.)
Misaligning connectors is a really easy mistake when you're tired. You're
better off if you don't make that mistake.

Bob - W3DK

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Ron
D'Eau Claire
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2016 1:36 PM
To: 'Wayne Michael'; 'Elecraft@mailman.qth.net'
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] k3s radio kit

In addition to Wayne's comments,

1) Do the parts inventory even though your fingers are itching to start
assembly.
That's something many of us skip over and finding and identifying each
part
before you start helps avoid confusion during assembly. There's no
"Aaaaargh!"
moment as bad as discovering that you used the wrong screw a few pages
back
and now you don't have it when it is needed. Besides, doing that in some
steps
can damage parts.

2) Be sure to check off each step in the assembly instructions. Check
boxes are
provided. Skipping a step is one of the most common reasons why a builder
has
to "back up" and reassemble a portion of the kit again after leaving
something
out. Checking the boxes helps make a skipped step stand out before you go
too
far.

3) If a step is not clear, feel free to drop me a note (r...@elecraft.com
or
r...@cobi.biz). I wrote the manual and the primary reason I try to keep an
eye
on this reflector is to pick up any issues people might report assembling
their
kits. Of course, during regular M-F business hours you can also contact
k3supp...@elecraft.com. I'm not at the factory, so they are the people to
contact in the unlikely event something is missing.

4) Have fun building. Have fun operating.

73, Ron AC7AC