To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:25 AM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] Simple-minded SPAM filters vs. list participation

Craig,

Sorry, but I beg to differ with you.  If someone asks me for my help, I do
not expect to fill out any forms to provide that assistance - and I will
not.

There are many very good and effective spam filters out there - I use
Spambayes, and after a very short period of training, I have no false
positives and all but a very few unsolicited emails are properly classified
as Junk.

To block all that are not whitelisted is more cumbersome than using a good
spam filter, and reviewing the 'authentication' list takes much more time
than training a good filter. The authentication process takes time on both
ends.

Note that I have replied to the list only because I expect I would be
'authorize requested' if I replied in a personal note - and I will NOT fill
out the 'form'.

Yes, each of us is the president of our personal 'company', and since we do
not have a staff to do this task for us, it does take a lot of undue time.
I may be retired, but I am certainly not idle!!! My time IS valuable. I do
offer my time to help fellow hams, but for those who want to block me, I
will not go to extra measures to provide that assistance.

73,
Don W3FPR