Craig Rairdin wrote:

However, your logic in this post is self-defeating. By refusing to go
through the process of being whitelisted, you are saying, in effect, that
your time is more valuable than the person to whom you sent the email -- the
same accusation you make of him or her.

Bad argument. I do a lot of my business via email, so I get several hundred messages a day. Spam, while annoying, takes up very little of my time. The Thunderbird email client is almost perfect in separating out the spam, and I spend a short time once a day scanning the headers in case of a false positive. The little spam that does get through is deleted as fast as I can click the mouse.

On the other hand, going through the 'whitelist' procedure can get *very* annoying, especially when you get multiple requests in a short period.

So when
you choose to reply privately I don't see why it makes sense to complain
about having to go through the authentication step. Are you really trying to
help a person or is this spirit of helpfulness just a thin veneer over an
otherwise cold, dark heart?

The time it takes for a message to appear on the list is variable. Sometimes it's almost immediate, sometimes it takes a half hour. So if I reply to a technical question I might reply directly (as well as to the list if it's of general interest) so that he will get the response immediately.

In my position as president of my company I get a lot of unsolicited email
from customers. In many cases I'm sure if we did the math, my time really IS
more valuable than theirs.

I'm also the president of a company, and it is always appropriate for me to spend time responding to my customers.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco