From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Ken
Arck
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2016 9:13 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Noise when K-3 keyed

I had the same problem - turned out to be noise from the computer (I was
using the USB CODEC for audio in/out to the computer).

Ken

At 06:41 PM 9/18/2016, Fred Jensen wrote:
>OK, this reply is to the list, lots of very smart and experienced folks
there.

>Let's see what others come up with given that additional info.  It
>sounds to me like most if not all of the usual suspects are ruled out.
>
>73,
>
>Fred K6DGW
>Sparks NV USA
>Washoe County DM09dn
>
>On 9/18/2016 6:27 PM, Louis Ives wrote:
>>Thanks for the reply. The noise is there in all modes and I am using
>>Vox but the noise is there even when I key with foot ptt.  I
>>completely disconnected from the antenna system with same results. I
>>tried with dummy load with same results. The noise almost sounds like
>>what you would get with noise generator or other injected noise.
>>
>>>On Sep 18, 2016, at 9:12 PM, Fred Jensen <k6...@foothill.net>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>Hmmm ... first thought would be RF in undesirable places.
>>>
>>>1.  How are you asserting PTT?  Foot or other switch, or VOX?
>>>
>>>2.  If it's not VOX, is it really as soon as you press the switch, or
>>>does it start as soon as you talk [which can often be almost
>>>simultaneous]?  FWIW:  I once had a colleague who couldn't master
>>>"point and click."  His mode was click and then point at what he
>>>wanted.  Push then Talk totally eluded him. :-)
>>>
>>>3.  What happens in CW mode?
>>>
>>>The K3 makes no RF in TX test, a big clue.  Give us a few more
>>>tidbits of info, like your antenna situation, actions into a dummy
>>>load if you have one, etc.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of help here.
>>>
>>>73,
>>>
>>>Fred K6DGW Sparks NV USA Washoe County DM09dn

>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email
>list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
>k...@arcomcontrollers.com

President and CTO - Arcom Communications Makers of repeater controllers and
accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and we offer complete repeater
packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"